Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A HELL OF A GOOD DAY!!!!

Well since heather someone put it so nicely , i thought I would update!!!

Monday, do we like mondays? Why dont we like mondays? BECAUSE THEY SUCK!!! Has anyone heard of a chain called TGIM ??? NO!!! It would be more like OSIM !!!

Anyways , my monday started at midnight as everyone elses, BUT, most sane people are asleep by then! I ,on the other hand was driving home, still had at least an hour to go. I had a co-pilot who hmmm, was snoring!!! So forget that option! I stopped at a gas station and bought, some chips, some sour gummy something, thought munching on those fat free, carbohydrate free snacks would keep me awake the rest of the way ... Until, I dozed off , my head jerked back and I sobbered up very quickly . WOW !!! That's scary... Finally got home, got to bed and thank God for still being alive!! Monday ,2am...

6.35am ALAAAAAAAAAAAAARM !!!! Those are not my friends...Dang that was a short night!!

My ear hurts, I got bit/stung by some crazy, mean , Texas BUG!!!! Bad reaction, they dont like french ladies... So I call my doc , and get an appointment for 3.pm . I then call my boys pediatrician to check on the time for their check up , that i thought was the next day. Well, just happened to be that afternoon at 3pm , so forget MY appointment.Got it rescheduled for the next morning at 8.30 am. ( Dont know what I was thinking...Doc is 45 minutes away ) .

So we go to the pediatrician , (after finally making my boys understand how important it is to wash up BEFORE going to have your nuts checked!!) . We get out and I had planned on to Target's afterwards . Even thought the boys gave me a dozen reasons why it was a bad idea...

I am finally in the ladies clothes depatment, of course Alex needs to pee, Alex ALWAYS needs to pee RIGHT NOW! So he goes , we wait for him , i see him coming back he is crying and holding his forehead in his hands, something red dripping thru his fingers... We all know it couldn't have been strawberry juice!!! I look close and realize he has a 1 to 1 &1/2 cm gash by the hairline followed by a scratch all the way to his eyebrow.So what are my options? 1: take him to the ER , nah...not that bad!!! 2: stick a bandaid and call it good, nah...needs to be cleaned up first and we are still 45 minutes from home. 3:turn around and go back to the doc...YEP ,best idea!







So here we go ... Dr Guthrie is sweet enough to work us in on a monday afternoon and not charge us!!! Here it is :






We go home...forget Target and my hopes of shopping a little for my trip (you know OPRAH!!!)...


We eat dinner, get everyone settled for bed, my ear and neck hurting constantly...I am in my PJ's , chatting on my laptop with a couple of different people...When at about 9.10 pm , my sons ,who are supposed to be asleep by then, show up in my room with this look of terror on their sweet little faces... SAM SWALLOWED A BATTERY !!!! Sam did WHAT??? Sam is my 10 year old... HE SWALLOWED A BATTERY.... ok , they really dont look like they are joking... Allright then , looking at options again... 1st i need to know what kind of battery...


ok ,it is a button battery , lithium(doesnt sound like it would be good for you...does it?) It looks like this:



So i look up online , just in case... here is what it said :


1)
Call the 24-hour National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333 IMMEDIATELY. Feel free to call collect. Your physician or emergency room may also call. We are on duty 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
2)
If available, provide the battery identification number (from the package or from a matching battery).
3)
An x-ray must be obtained immediately to be sure that the battery has gone through the esophagus into the stomach. Do not wait for symptoms to develop before getting an x-ray. If the battery remains in the esophagus, it must be removed IMMEDIATELY. CAUTION: Batteries lodged in the esophagus can cause severe burns in JUST 2 HOURS!! Battery removal is done with an endoscope; surgery is rarely, if ever, indicated. Do NOT give ipecac.
4)
If a battery has moved beyond the esophagus, it can be expected to pass by itself. Passage may take many days, or even months. Removal is NOT indicated if the battery has passed beyond the esophagus and the patient is asymptomatic. Once you are sure the battery is not in the esophagus, the patient can be sent home to wait for the battery to pass. Watch for fever, abdominal pain, vomiting or blood in the stools. Report these symptoms immediately to your physician and to the Battery Hotline (202-625-3333).
5)
Watch the stools until the battery has passed. Clean the battery, tape it to a card or wrap it carefully, and mail it to: National Capital Poison Center 3201 New Mexico Ave, Suite 310 Washington, DC 20016Be sure to include your name, address and telephone number. To learn more about battery ingestions, a toxicologist analyzes each battery and correlates the severity of the patient’s clinical effects with the degree of corrosion noted on the battery.


Needless to say , i got a little worried, soooooooo I called the doc's night line. Answer:

TAKE HIM TO THE ER IMMEDIATELY... DO WHAT???

It is 10 pm, Alex is now asleep , and no hubbi at home!!! Hmmm, Teill (20 year old living with us) got home right on time from work!

Off we went to the ER, Samuel extremely worried as I told him a little bit of what you read above!! Hahaha, I take pleasure in telling him that he might have to have the battery removed , I am not a mean ,heartless mother, I was in my PJs ready for bed for pete's sake!!!! (remember, i didnt hit the pillow until 2am the night before!! )

There we go again , but no worries, the van knows the way too well...

We get there , I get in a panic mode! The ER is PACKED!!! kids coughing, barfing, sneezing, bleeding... GERMS !!!! I have a germophobia...Once a cancer mom, always a cancer mom...Soooo, I go sign us in and ask for a couple of face masks... The lady looked at me funny... I repeated myself ,MASKS so we dont catch every single disease represented in the ER tonight because I am in contact with cancer kids quite a bit... I put it on and people look at me like I am the sick one...OK whatever! Made me feel better!!

Anyways, after waiting a while, getting X-rays, finding out that the battery was already well on its way to the exit , we were sent home and yet again, hit the pillow at 2am!!!


Now remember , silly me got an early appointment to my doc!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!


On my way home , Ken texted me and said "Well I guess you had a bad day!"

I laughed and replied, "No , dear, I had a wonderful day , Coleman had a bad day!!!"

My little buddy Coleman from Iowa city is battling the same brain tumor as Julian's , and on monday had a NG tube installed ...




I LOVE YOU COLEMAN...YOU ARE MY HERO !!!
It is all about perspective....

9 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

sooooo what about the bug bite? Are you ok?!

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! Can you imagine being the man who inspects S**T corroded batteries for a living. Imagine his dinnertime conversation with the wifey and kiddos. Yeah, Honey today we managed to finagle a partially corroded battery into petri dish to analyze the fecal compostion of a boy in Jersey who got a little to close to his talking Barney toys butt...Get some sleep. I've been up since 3:30 am this morningc cuz of these darn DFW storms. I got 11 pieces of jewelry done though, so it wasn't all in vain. Heather

Shellie said...

Now that sounded like my life. I am scared of batteries now, that's one thing we haven't swallowed yet. I hope your bite is getting better! And I sincerely hope you get caught up on your sleep!

Manic Mom said...

I can't believe there is a National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline!

Great for you for keeping it all in perspective!

I think I will be a lucky girl and while I won't be meeting Oprah, I will be meeting Mimi!!! : )

Safe travels to Chicago!

The Journey Begins Here said...

Perspective...I've gone through the day and every time I want to lose it, I know think (ready?)

It could be worse. We could be holding for a rep. on the battery hotline.

Thinking about you. I can't wait to see the show on Tuesday. Did you pick an outfit yet?

How's my boyfriend, Alex, doing?

Theresa

Kim Wheedleton said...

Hey, Mimi, hope you're having a great time in Chicago. You look so happy in that pic with Michelle! When you get home, I tagged you for a meme...

Laura said...

OK, I also tagged you....10 neat things about your kids! No rush it took me 11 days to post mine after I was tagged...Plus you been to see Oprah! Hope you had a FANTASTIC time and a wonderful break...yet I bet you missed the craziness of silly BOYS!!!

Domestic Spaz said...

National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline

This cracked me up. LOL! Thanks for reminding me that my days are wonderful, too. :)

My Flock Rocks! said...

I just found your blog via MaNiC MoMMy! I'll be adding you to my favorite reads...Hugs!
Sue~